Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mother's perspective


40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have adone it unto one of the bleast of these my cbrethren, ye have done it unto me.

There was a time right after I had Jakey boy that I felt totally worthless to the world. I was changing diapers all day long on a wacky sleeping scedual and having almost zero interaction with people who could talk...HAHAH. Well to say the least I was bummed out and felt like my brain and my spirituality was just kinda slipping away. Thank goodness for other mothers who have felt the same way. Meilani Told me she had been going through the same feelings and that she was trying to read the scriptures with a mothers perspective and she found this: Mathew 25:40. Who else is the least of these if it is not our children? They are helpless and they need to be taught love and charity and when I am changing Jakey's diaper I am helping my savior. What an amazing way to look at it. When I feed them and clothe them, when I wash them or help them get through a cold, when I visit them in time out:) hehe...I am serving them and by serving them I am serving you know who:D. How COOOL is THAT!!
I found this quote that shows how important the LDS view of motherhood is.

President David O. McKay (1873–1970): “[The] ability and willingness properly to rear children, the gift to love, and eagerness … to express it in soul development, make motherhood the noblest office or calling in the world. She who can paint a masterpiece or write a book that will influence millions deserves the admiration and the plaudits of mankind; but she who rears successfully a family of healthy, beautiful sons and daughters, whose influence will be felt through generations to come, … deserves the highest honor that man can give, and the choicest blessings of God” (Gospel Ideals [1954], 453–54).

So we who change diapers all day and get thrown up on and who feel like we are not making a difference are actually deserving of the "highest honor that man can give!" It fills me with inspiration and determination to do a good job and I know now that my job is sacred and awesome and nothing about it is small but extra Large:). Everything I do day to day is valued by those who matter most. Every runny nose I wipe , every song I sing and every book I read is counted and though I might not get thankyous I know that Heavenly Father is greatful for me and that is an amazing feeling!! I hope we can all feel his love and know that what we are doing is just amazing and powerful. What we do with our kids now will change the world.

I love this scripture now and everytime I need reminded why I am doing what I am doing, Why I am staying home instead of making us lots of money, I read this and I remember I am doing something here for my children that money cant buy. And I remember that I am sacrificing things of the world for things of an eternal value. How cool is it to have a constant loving person in your life. How cool is it that I get to be there for the first step and the first workd and all of the good stuff and the bad stuff. How cool is it that when they ask I can tell them :) really there is no harder or more fulfilling job in the world.

The time we have with our little ones will fly by and it would be so cool if we could look back and enjoyed every minuet we had with them again, in our memories. Wouldn't it be cool one day to look back and smile. Lets make some good memories today!!


5 comments:

Lynn said...

Mandy,

I was wondering if I could write a quick post on my Mommy Moments blog pointing the few mommy's that read it to this blog. I really like what you're doing, and I think some of us could really use your insight to get perspective. It just helps to go back to the basics and see how we can find support and strength the way we're supposed to: scriptures, prayer and the words of the apostles. You can email/comment on my blog or whatever to let me know.

mandy said...

for sure:)

Meilani said...

I'm glad that that insight stuck with you Mandy. It has always stayed with me, too. I love the idea that we as mothers are feeding the hungry, visiting the sick, and clothing the naked daily. Sometimes I feel bad when I can't be there for other people (like make them cookies to cheer them up, make a meal for someone, most kinds of service that kids can't be running around you for) but then I remind myself that I am doing a Godly kind of service to my children and family every day. I love your Charity blog. Keep it up.

mandy said...

THanks Lani:) I love the way you say it:) Wahoooo!!! yaee for moms:)

Katie and Co. said...

I keep this quote on my fridge: "This divine service of motherhood can be rendered only by mothers. It may not be passed to others. Nurses cannot do it; public nurseries cannot do it; hired help cannot do it--only mother, aided as much as may be by the loving hands of father, brothers, and sisters, can give the full needed measure of watchful care. The mother who entrusts her child to the care of others, that she may do non-motherly work, whether for gold, for fame, or for civic service, should remember that 'a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.' (Proverbs 29:15) In our day the Lord has said that unless parents teach their children the doctrines of the Church 'the sin be upon the heads of the parents.' (D&C 68:25) Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels. To you mothers in Israel we say God bless and protect you, and give you the strength and courage, the faith and knowledge, the holy love and consecration to duty, that shall enable you to fill to the fullest measure the sacred calling which is yours. To you mothers and mothers-to-be we say: Be chaste, keep pure, living righteously, that your posterity to the last generation may call you blessed." First Presidency: Heber J. Grant, J. Reuben Clark Jr., David O. McKay; Oct. 1942.

My Charity Notes

This is my own personal blog that im writing in an Unapologetic manner about my faith and experiences in life that have brought me joy sorrow and Love.